Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Greetings From Matoso


Karibu (hello in kswahili) All!
I am in Kenya right now and wanted to send you a quick update. I've been here for almost 2 weeks now and I'm loving every minute of it. The kids are so adorable and so much fun. The school is running great. We have 5 teachers and 5 classes, from Baby to Grade 2. There are almost 150 students attending and supposedly we are ranked number 1 in the area. Reason being that we have a  primary prep class with a very well trained teacher that prepares kids to start reading before they get into primary school (basically in Kindergarden.) Which has made the news of the changes with SCHAP, that much harder to delivery. Already we (Cory, Kevin and I) have had our fair share of very difficult conversations and people disappointed. 

From the moment we started our work here in Matoso, we've used the phrase 'We are (here) in business, to as quickly as possible, go out of business'. Meaning that we are only here to help stimulate growth, teach and train community members, all in an effort to empower the people of Matoso to not only have a better life, but have ownership. One word we are particularly serious about the team not using is 'should'. Suggestions or explaining how we've seen things work well where we live is one thing, but if we give them the answer or more importantly, try to force people to change, the change will only last for so long. With that said, here in Matoso we've only been an assistance and now where near something to rely on. But regardless people tend to hear what they want to hear (I know it, because I myself do the same thing). The teachers here at our school have heard us say MANY times that although we are assisting and partnering with them and the community to set the school up, we will not be here for very long and need to make the school self sustainable as soon as possible. From day one we have been working with the community center/school manager, as well as the beach leader (mayor) to help them with revenue generating ideas, some of which we are still developing, like the computer center. 

I feel like the work we have been doing is either high-highs or low-lows… or at least it is that way for me. Working with people, means that a satisfactory solution may mean the loss of lives. Satisfactory just isn't good enough. You either create change or you don't and sometimes you can't, unless the people want it badly enough. 

Day to day here have been a bit different for me as far as what I'm working on. Since I will be moving on to other things this Fall, helping with the media has been especially difficult, because my heart is not in the future. I've always been really loyal to my heart, so theres been convincing of mind over matter while I've been here.

Everyday I've been spending my time with the people here in Matoso. Something I haven't ever had much time to do, short of interviews or cameras. It's been fun really getting to know the people and I'm always surprised when I meet with someone again to find out that there is another dream or concern they are struggling with that they didn't share with me in our previous conversations. I feel like I'm finally getting to a real place in their hearts. 

Our team of Americans is 20 strong. With everybody but the directors and a project assistant, paired up in twos. The teams spent their first couple weeks working in surrounding (matoso) communities and connecting with the local leaders for initial buy to then start talking with community members. The teams are now connected to the right people in each community and have laid our some plans to begin working and today is the first day really at work. I've decided to spend my time working with the orphans, women and business development. All of which I am VERY VERY excited to be working with. Just to give you an example of what we will actually be doing, with the orphans for example after we met with all of the orphanages in the area and caregivers to gather information, it was really clear that we couldn't and wouldn't be able to address the kids immediate needs… like food, health care,  shelter or an education. But we could spending time with them and give them lots of attention. Playing games with them, having conversations with an orphan one on one, etc. could really be life changing and I know first hand, that it is not only for the child, but for the community members around who possibly never even notice the child. I am leaving in a couple hours to visit a community specifically to find one orphan at a time to spend time with today and I cannot wait. It is so fun seeing their cute personality come out and hear them telling you about who they are. Their face beams. 

Quickly, I'll get into details later, working with the women we are talking a lot about HIV/AIDS and also menstruation cycle for young girls. We are helping to make reusable sanitary napkins for the girls in school, who can miss more than 30 days of school each year because of their period and their fears of having an accident happen while they are in class and being made fun of. With the business development I am working on a side project with one of our friends here in Matoso who is a seamstress. I'm going to try and take his business online by helping to build a very simple website, teaching him the basics of how to edit the website, so he can advertise to the whole world, instead of just his community. The plan is to ship the dresses, skirts, etc. from here as they are ordered. He is going to be attending our business development workshop and then writing up a business plan before we start working. I'm really excited to see how that progresses and watch him go through the process of really understanding his business. 

Anyhow, so much for the quick email I thought I was going to write. Hope all is well at home. I miss everyone and I'm as anxious to get back, as I am to finish up our work here. 

Love you all!! 

Always, Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers